Friday, September 25, 2009

The most wonderful time of the year!


Greetings, gentle readers!

I hope the day finds you well, wherever you are. As for me, I am finding myself in anxious anticipation of autumn. Now, depending on where you are geographically, autumn may well have already come to you, and if that is the case, I hope that you count yourself lucky. As for me, I am in the flatlands of North Carolina and as such am currently looking out the window at the yellowing leaves of the oak tree in my back yard whilst sitting in the air conditioned comfort of my bedroom. You see, the trees have figured out what time of year it is, but they have yet to share that information with the weather. It's nearly 90 degrees outside and muggy as all get-out. I keep finding myself staring wistfully at those trees and longing for the first sharp, crisp intake of true fall air.

I love the fall. I love its holidays, its weather, its colors, the crunch of fallen leaves beneath your feet. I love the way the air feels in your lungs. And of course, I LOVE the baked goods: apple pie, oatmeal cookies, coffee cake, and anything and everything containing pumpkin. Of course, in our modern world of 24 hour convenience, these goodies are by no means restricted to this time of year, but you have to admit that taking a bite of soft, sweet, melt-in-your-mouth pumpkin pie never feels quite so right as it does on a cool, fresh day in mid-October. Yes, folks, fall is my favorite time of year.

So, in the coming months, I promise you many autumn-tastic goodies. I've already been plowing through my books trying to pick the perfect pastries for the autumn-loving diabetic. Contenders so far are: orange-date pumpkin bread, apricot-ginger pinwheels, raisin-pumpkin tart, no-bake pumpkin swirl cheesecake, apple-mango crisp, citrus sweet potato pie, and butter-rum oatmeal cookies just to name a few.

Now, how many of these I'll actually get to this year is anybody's guess, but I'm certainly going to do my best. Additionally, suggestions are (as always) welcome and encouraged.

The one definite plan I DO have for fall this year, though, is that I am participating in the American Diabetes Association's annual Step Out: Walk to Fight Diabetes! Our team, the Sugar Free Fairies, will join many other teams in the Charlotte area on October 31st to get out and walk in support of diabetes support, education, and research! If you'd like to walk with us and/or make a donation on our behalf, you can do so by clicking here.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that October 31st this year is going to be exactly the kind of autumn day I've been craving, complete with blue skies, bright leaves, and crisp air. But even if it's 20 below and raining cats and dogs, I will be out there walking through it because that's how much I believe in this cause. I hope that you'll lend your support as well however you can.

Thanks, everyone. Happy autumn!

1 comment:

  1. Your lovely wife says that you feel the interwebs don't love you. So hi there, we love you!

    Make me some cookies please, I'll let you use Laura's super awesome mixer ;)

    ReplyDelete